Hey there! How is your weekend?? Hope its good! So as you know that I’m very much interested in Flowers, you should guess what I’m gonna share today! Like the title says its about Lavender, its Morphology and Floriography! So let’s get started! 🙂
Lavender, is a violet flower known for its beauty!
It is from the Kingdom Plantae…
Its clade is Angiosperms, angios means flowering and sperms means plants…
It is from the Order of the Lamiales and from the mint family, Lamiaceae…. The sub-family is Nepetoideae
They are from the tribe, Ocimeae
The genus is Lavendula which consists of 47species!
The most common species is Lavendula angustifolia
It is an ornamental plant…. It includes culinary herbs….
Now onto its Morphology:
- These are short-lived
- They are sub-shrubs I.e, small shrubs
- The leaf shape is simple in most of the genus… They may be lobed or unloved but they are not separated into leaflets
- In some species, the leaf shape is pinnate… In some, the leaf is covered by hairs- which gives the essential oils
- The Aestivation I.e, flower borne is Whorled
- It is available in colors such as Blue, lilac, blackish purple, and yellowish….
- The calyx is tubular in structure
- The corolla has five lobes and it is also tubular in structure
- The leaf arrangement is opposite to each node
- It is bilaterally symmetrical
- The stamen number is 4
- The fruit is dry, but it does not split open when ripe
Now onto its Floriography:
Some flowers have two or three meanings itself! That is why I chose to tell you guys about Lavender.
Lavender has 3 meanings to describe:
- The first is Loyalty….
So, you can easily say that lavender means loyalty…. Because, the color Blue is meant for loyalty too…
If you want to show your loyalty to your friend or relative or teacher or anyone, you can offer them a Lavender
Next meaning is love….
Love. To show your love to someone who’s special to you, or to a little kid, just give them a Lavender…. Lavender is a pleasant plant… It shows you the path of love if you really understand its nature(well, thats what i feel)
The next and final meaning is Devotion…
Loyalty, love and devotion are connected to each other… If you love someone, you’ll eventually show them your devotion and loyalty… Well, won’t you? So simple, to make others understand your devotion towards them, give them a lavender!
That’s all I know about Lavender’s morphology and Floriography! If any mistakes, tell me! Thank you so much for reading my blog! Until next time!